Subject: RE: netmask for tunnel
From: "Les Mikesell" <les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 00:51:07 +0100

Yes, ptp has the magic property of only having one
other end so you can get away with shoving things
into the device that don't fit there and they can
only come out in one place. But, for my own sanity
I like to treat tunnels as a natural network just
like router serial links are normally done (I know,
you can cheat there too and run one end unnumbered...)
and this makes network tools understand the connections
as well as people.  The only netmask that makes much
sense is 255.255.255.252 since the first and last
numbers in a subnet are not used.  Using ifconfig to
change the mask did make the network manager program
see things right and display the traffic visually, so
maybe I can stick that in the ifup script.