Subject: PPPoE over Cipe for NT people
From: "Yves Smolders" <yves.smolders,AT,pandora,DOT,be>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:34:38 +0100

Hey everyone,
?
I was reading the website <A
href="http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/";>http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/?that

provides Windows 2000 users with native PPPoE solutions that present
themselves
as a Network Interface Card to the OS, to replace the crappy PPPoE driver
that
is included with a well known ADSL product in Belgium.
?
When reading I saw that PPPoE is compatible with
any interface that supports Ethernet.
?
Now I read in this group that the Windows CIPE
version presents itself as a full Ethernet device.
?
Haven't tested it yet, but using PPPoE over CIPE
might be a possibility, presenting Windows users with a solution that
requires
no static routing tables & multiple subnets, just "RAS dial in" put over the
Internet, and at the Win2000 "incoming connections" provide a static range of
IP's within the subnet you use - presto, browsing the network over
Internet...
?
I know PPTP and IPSEC in W2K are solutions for this
as well, but they don't work well over NAT and PAT, something CIPE doesn't
really care about.? L2TP can be used in W2K as well, without IPSEC, when
registry is "hacked" but that doesn't offer security.
?
If I have the time I will try to do some
experiments.
?
Yves