Subject: Newbie Q: Transparent bridge capabilities of CIPE
From: "Raz Gordon" <raz,AT,incepto,DOT,co,DOT,il>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:45:34 +0100

My scenario is the following:

I have two sites that I want to bridge with a VPN. At a first look, it
seems to be pretty standard? however, I want to be able to transparently
use laptops assigned STATIC IP addresses on both sites ? this makes
things much more difficult... ?Routed? VPN solutions (e.g. Microsoft ISA
Server) don?t allow this as they require the IP address space to be
broken into pre-configured sub-spaces (and then they route traffic by
programming the router?s routing tables).

This won?t work for me. I am actually looking for a bridged VPN
solution, that will work exactly as connecting two Ethernet switches
(one on each site) with a very long cable between both sites ? then it
would really be a LAN spanned across both sites.

I wonder if CIPE is the VPN bridge solution that I am looking for.
Specifically: does it dynamically ?learn? and perform an aging process
on some internal address table, which allows it to ?know? whether the
destination address is local or remote (and forward packets
appropriately)? I understand CIPE deals with layer 2 packets(?) so if
such an address table exists and is maintained, it should store MAC
(Ethernet) addresses.

Thanks,

Raz Gordon