Subject: Re: CIPE documentation format
From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter,AT,asylum,DOT,xs4all,DOT,nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:57:55 +0100

Yo!

> I suffer a rather hard time to vew the textinfo file
> using plain text viewer, and I am sure there are many
> people out there not having a tool to convert the
> textinfo file type to info ...; (in order to have
> tool, make the system more bloated and it is not the
> spirit of CIPE :-) )
>
> Why should we have a html one or something similar....
I am in favour. Even though various man pages describe that the info
system should be regarded as the official documentation. First it does
not seem to get a lot of support or make it into distro's. I dearly love
simple .txt files. There's nothing that can compete with a less `find
/usr/doc -type f -exec grep -li "tunnel" {} \;` And you can even view
them with a browser! Good old man is not too bad either if you know what
command you are looking for.

Maybe there's a simple sed or awk script around the could strip the
texinfo file and produce a .txt version. The configure script could
resort to that method if it cannot find the ton and a half worth
required type-setting software. Maybe do both if the tools are there.
And, indeed, html could also be a nice addition. We got stuck with many
forms of documentation after all, and people tend to invest in one and
more or less ignore the others. I must admit I never got the hang of the
.info stuff.

OLAF: Would any extension like this make it into release if someone took
a project like that upon him- or herself?

CIAO (Peter)