Subject: Re: VNC over CIPE - speed problem
From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter,AT,asylum,DOT,xs4all,DOT,nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:19:15 +0100

Yo!

> I'm currently playing with CIPE (I get it to work without PKCIPE). I'm
>using it
> for tunneling VNC connections between two firewalls and VNC speed seems to
>be a
> problem.
>
> Is somebody here using VNC over CIPE tunnel? Vncviewer is using 192kbit
>link,
> vncserver is on 128kbit link (but both links aren't used for VNC/CIPE
> exclusively, there is some WWW and similar traffic). I'm using
>tightvnc-3.3. The
> screen transfer usually breaks in a half.
>
> I remember that PPP over SSH was much much faster, SSH only forwarding was
>also
> faster. I Googled through the archives of cipe-l but there was no problem
> reported about VNC speed.
I use Cipe extensively for things like that, though I use xterms and
rlogins mainly. Even on 56K connections and over long distances it's no
problem. It should be faster and more robust then ssh.

You did not happen to deny ICMP on some of those firewall? Cauze that
will break things. Think about must fragment messages and the like.

CIAO