Subject: Re: VNC over CIPE - speed problem
From: Al Grimstad <al,AT,grimstad,DOT,mv,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:43:31 +0100

I've found VNC over CIPE to be slow, using a depth of 32. Backing off to
8 makes the speed acceptable. This is using the base VNC of AT&T, not a
derivative. Even with a depth of 32 nothing "breaks." -- al

On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 06:09, Peter van den Heuvel wrote:
    Yo!

    > I'm currently playing with CIPE (I get it to work without PKCIPE). I'm
using it
    > for tunneling VNC connections between two firewalls and VNC speed seems
to be a
    > problem.
    >
    > Is somebody here using VNC over CIPE tunnel? Vncviewer is using 192kbit
link,
    > vncserver is on 128kbit link (but both links aren't used for VNC/CIPE
    > exclusively, there is some WWW and similar traffic). I'm using
tightvnc-3.3. The
    > screen transfer usually breaks in a half.
    >
    > I remember that PPP over SSH was much much faster, SSH only forwarding
was also
    > faster. I Googled through the archives of cipe-l but there was no
problem
    > reported about VNC speed.
    I use Cipe extensively for things like that, though I use xterms and
    rlogins mainly. Even on 56K connections and over long distances it's no
    problem. It should be faster and more robust then ssh.

    You did not happen to deny ICMP on some of those firewall? Cauze that
    will break things. Think about must fragment messages and the like.

    CIAO