Subject: Re: CIPE-Win32 routing
From: "Yves Smolders" <yves.smolders,AT,pandora,DOT,be>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:15:52 +0100

Hey Scott,

I forgot to tell you one thing: you need the cipe machines to forward IP
across network adapters.  Win NT4 used to do that, for 2000 and XP it's a
registry tweak.  Can't remember the right setting but try google.be you'll
find it (look for IP forwarding win 2000)

> Now to allow CIPE Gateway A to ping Machine B, I have to add a route on
CIPE
> Gateway A that looks like this:
>
> route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.20.1

That's right and use -p to make the route persistent or you lose it after
reboot

> and on the machine in network B
>
> route add 192.168.123.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.20

Yes, if you were to ping from machine B to Cipe A (192.168.123.110), if you
do a traceroute you'll see that the ping goes from 192.168.1.70 to
192.168.1.20, according to the route.  From there on the packet gets routed
to 192.168.20.1, the other cipe machine, where 123.110 is.

> Is that right?  Finally, did you mean that I should set the gateway
address
> for Machine A to be the IP Address of the CIPE Gateway
(192.168.123.110)???
> And do the corresponding thing for the Machine B in private network B???

Set either the default gateway to the cipe machine or add a specific route
to machine A to get there.  imho best way to work is leave the default
gateway to the DSL router, and in the DSL router add a static route to cipe
for 192.168.1.0.  That way, all traffic for internet and the other network
goes to the dsl router, and there all traffic for 1.0 goes to cipe.

Hard to grasp at first, all this routing stuff but once you get the hang of
it... :-)

Yves

> Thanks much!!!
>
> Scotto
>
> On 3/29/02 2:51 PM, "Yves Smolders" <yves.smolders,AT,pandora,DOT,be> wrote:
>
> >> 192.168.20.1 is CIPE Gateway A PTP addr
> >> 192.168.1.* is private network B's address range.
> >
> > I presume you have Cipe gateway B PTP in the same range?  if B range is
1.*
> > your route add should have netmask 255.255.255.0
> >
> > The machines on your network A should have as gateway the internal IP of
the
> > cipe gateway A (I presume that would be 192.168.0.x or something)  if
you
> > have another router (e.g. internet access router is not cipe gateway)
you