Subject: Re: Peer startup order question
From: Mike Gende <mgende,AT,gendesign,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:33:57 +0200

Stephen Stewart wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I've go 2 peers: one NT4 sp6 (fixed ip address), one win2000 (dynamic
> ip address). When the win2000 box is started first, followed by the nt
> box, the connection works ok and I can ping both ways. When the nt box
> is started first I am unable to ping either way. It appears that the
> key exchange process don't work under these circumstances.

Hey Stephen,

We do the same thing, address wise, as you but with several boxes. We've got
a central site with a static IP and several clients with dynamic IP addresses.
Unlike you, all our boxes are Linux hosts.

Usually, the sites are all up. But, we've found that if the static box comes
up
first, the 0.0.0.0 box(s)  (which have the static host as it's 'peer' entry in
the options
file) just needs to send some traffic (a ping, whatever) for the other side to
'see' it and figure out the senders IP. Up comes the link and away we go.

Either Cipe works differently in this regard on Microsoft op sys's or
something
else is up. Anybody? What do your options.cipcbX files look like?

Regards,

Mike

GenDesign Corp.