Subject: Re: Peer startup order question
From: Mike Gende <mgende,AT,gendesign,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:08:54 +0200

Stephen Stewart wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> MG> Either Cipe works differently in this regard on Microsoft op
> MG> sys's or something
> MG> else is up. Anybody? What do your options.cipcbX files look like?
> I don't think that cipe-win32 has any options.cipcbX files. Correct me
> if I'm wrong. All the data is stored in the registry but I have seen
> no docs anywhere describing this. There aren't very many parameters
> visible for me to play with.

I see. My ignorance of Cipe on Win32 is profound so I'll have to assume that
the configs are correct, after all they do work when the systems come up in a
certain order, yes?

> If I start the "server" machine (without starting the wanderer) then
> it starts pinging away. As all it know about the peer for the moment
> is 0.0.0.0 then where is it pinging?

It is pinging to nowhere. That's pretty much what the 0.0.0.0 address is for,
having the end who's 'peer' adderss is all balls wait for traffic from that
host
on the specified port, so it can finally have an endpoint to talk to.

> Has it gone insane and is now
> talking to itself? In any case, when the wanderer talks to the server
> it doesn't appear to see any of the replies that the server sends.

That's the part I don't really get. We don't ping in the direction of static
IP
to dynamic IP because, as you can see, Cipe pointing to 0.0.0.0 initially
gives
it nowhere to ping to. We just have a constant ping going from the dynamic to
the static to advertise the dynamic address to the host, making 2 way traffic
possible.

It sounds like you are doing that at some point, again, on Linux you'd be
fine.
We do it every day. Someone else must rescue me here as I can't explain
why the dynamic MS client's ping to the static MS host doesn't establish the
link.

Sorry I'm not more help.