Subject: Re[2]: Peer startup order question
From: Stephen Stewart <stewart.stephen,AT,wanadoo,DOT,fr>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 02:12:27 +0200

Hello Mike,

MG> Hey Steve,

MG> I reread my response and may have misunderstood your initial post. Do you
mean
MG> you get successful pings?  Even with the peer down?
I don't think so. What happens is this: the static peer log a request
for a key exchange, which implies that the dynamic peer can be heard
and understood by the static peer. Unfortunately, the dynamic peer
doesn't seem go get the response, indicated by the fact that the
request message is repeated continuously and without any other of the
messages that indicate successful negociation of a new key. Also, the
request is repeated much more rapidly than a normal renewal type
exchange.

Since I have been working on this for most of the day, I am coming to
the conclusion that the static peer NT box has some quirk in it's
tcp/ip configuration, and I mean at a windows level and not cipe.
There is something very suspicous happening which is this: I am unable
to bind the local port to the specific adapter but only to all
adapters as 0.0.0.0. Trying to bind to xx.xx.xx.xx causes the service
to fail reporting "Unable to bind to port". This is strange because
all packets have to go through that adapter/port anyway. If I can't
resolve this soon I'll upgrade the box to win2k which tends to be
gentler on the nerves.

MG> Sorry for typing faster than I think.
Thats OK. You helped a lot by confirming things that I knew were true
but was beginning to question.

Thanks
Best regards,
 Stephen                            mailto:stewart.stephen,AT,wanadoo,DOT,fr