Subject: RE: CIPE windows ethernet?
From: Paul Hamm <paulhamm,AT,OpenRatings,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 20:09:50 +0200

CIPE
is a VPN.? VPNs are designed to be run over the internet for the most
part.? Internet connections tend to be relatively slow, T1, Fractional, E1,
DSL, Dialup.? These types of connections are prone to band width
issues.? As such you would be much better off not bridging traffic over a
CIPE connection as it offers very little advantage.? You would be much
better off spending a weekend changing the IP address of one side or the
other
of your CIPE locations and routing it as you should be
doing.
<SPAN
class=820592216-10052002>?
I have
never bothered looking onto?bridging as an option, or Windows as a
client.? That being said it is possible to bridge over CIPE.? I
believe it was done on linux with only some source code changes.? I suspect
the performance hit would make a connection really really slow in most types
of
corporate environments.
<SPAN
class=820592216-10052002>?
<SPAN
class=820592216-10052002>?

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Yves Smolders
  [mailto:yves.smolders,AT,pandora,DOT,be: Thursday, May 09, 2002 6:33
  PMTo: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,deSubject: CIPE windows
  ethernet?
  Hello,
  ?
  I've read somewhere in the discussions that the
  windows port of CIPE is actually based on a virtual ETHERNET
  device.
  ?
  So would it be possible to make an ethernet
  bridge with windows cipe?? I also came across this package, what would
  happen if one were to use this together with cipe?
  ?
  <A

href="http://www.ntndis.com/downloads/etherbridge.zip";>http://www.ntndis.com/downloads/etherbridge.zip?

  look for ethernet bridge, ethernet packets are forwarded onto another
  interface.? Might work with cipe?
  ?
  Yves
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff