Subject: Re: ifconfig "double" question..
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz,AT,tac,DOT,ch>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 18:32:55 +0200

Hi,

> At the moment we only have 9.  A partial output of the ip link show command:
>
> 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue
> 2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 100
> 3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 100
> 4: cipcb0: <POINTOPOINT,NOARP,NOTRAILERS,UP> mtu 1442 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen
>100
> 21: cipcb6: <POINTOPOINT,NOARP,NOTRAILERS,UP> mtu 1442 qdisc pfifo_fast
>qlen 100
> 23: cipcb25: <POINTOPOINT,NOARP,NOTRAILERS,UP> mtu 1442 qdisc pfifo_fast
>qlen 100
> 24: cipcb2: <POINTOPOINT,NOARP,NOTRAILERS,UP> mtu 1442 qdisc pfifo_fast
>qlen 100
> 25: cipcb15: <POINTOPOINT,NOARP,NOTRAILERS,UP> mtu 1442 qdisc pfifo_fast
>qlen 100
> 27: cipcb18: <POINTOPOINT,NOARP,NOTRAILERS,UP> mtu 1442 qdisc pfifo_fast
>qlen 100

Excellent. You may also get the interface (or better link) from
/proc/net/dev.

> The cipe links are given the same number as the location they connect to
>(stores),
> these happen
> to be using cipe at the moment. When they all do, the numbering will be more
> sequential.

Sure. Depending on the setup/tear-down of the interfaces you can
get quite a fragmented list.

> Speaking of sequential, I note the numbers via ip link show go from 4 to
>21, etc.
> I've not used it
> before your post, is that what one would expect?

Yes. Don't worry.

> > > Anyone ever see this? Again, it works, but I don't recall it on the old
>box.
> >
> > Been there, seen that and vomited.
>
> That always hurts ;^)

Yep. Especially combined with other really nasty broken stuff like
the aliasing/label problem or the media type things. Check out some
netdev archives for funny stories about that.

> > The problem is not present if you use the appropriate tools to setup
>networking
> > under Linux,
> > namely iproute2.
> >
> > ip link show
> > ip addr show
>
> I see that is true.  So, this problem is with ifconfig?

I haven't spent more than 5 minutes when I saw this for the first
time. 3 minutes vomiting, 2 minutes to remove the ifconfig binary
and install the iproute2 tools on those boxes.

> Thanks for looking at it.  I note that now an entry is auto added as a
>route to
> not only the host
> at the other end (which I'm used to) to a route also for the hosts' LAN as
>well
> (which is new
> to me).  Perhaps this has something to do with my double ifconfig also.

Maybe. There is a difference in setting up an IP either with
ifconfig or with ip with repect to the resulting netmask/brd
and auto-route-setup. Check out [1] for more information, if
you've time.

The best thing to check correct routing is

ip ro show (this should be enough if you set up you routes with
            routes previously)
ip ru show (if you have a more advanced routing setup, which can
            happen very quickly when doing VPN)

> Unless, that is, someone else tells me differently.

I might investigate that someday but right now I've better things
to do and I don't even have the impulse on working with obsoleted
tools anyways ;)

[1] http://www.lartc.org/

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz

--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc