Subject: Re: heavy traffic, ping failure "wrong data byte #0 ..."
From: Gert.Vandelaer,AT,medisearch-int,DOT,com
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 18:10:26 +0200

Hya Keith,

this is a DSL modem, isp is AT&T ... and the banfwith is ok, it's just that
whenever there's a lot of data being downloaded,
i get these lost / corrupted packets, and not just to the vpn endpoints ..
pings to where ever show this behaviour.

I even replaced the Intel e100 / e1000 nic with 3com vortex nics, just to
make sure that intel drivers weren't interfering .. didn't help either.

I'm now trying to shape the traffic,
i've run the wondershaper script, put port 80 as low destination priority,
but it's still the same ..

I'm now gonna look into placing qdiscs on the cipe device itself ...
I've never really gotten any results with the wondershaper script before,
so I'm gonna try a custom setup next.

any advice or comments much appreciated,

bye,
Gert

                    Keith Smith

                    <keith@ksmith        To:
Gert.Vandelaer,AT,medisearch-int,DOT,com

                    .com>                cc:     cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: heavy traffic, ping
failure "wrong data byte #0 ..."
                    owner-cipe-l@

                    inka.de

                    06/14/02

                    02:32 AM

Would this by any chance be a cable-modem?

It's dropped and corrupted packets.

Gert.Vandelaer,AT,medisearch-int,DOT,com wrote:
| Hy all,
|
| I've got a bit of a problem of which I'm not sure what the cause is.
|
| A vpn with 3 endpoints,
| 2 end-points had been up and running for over a year, no noticable
| problems,
| now I added a 3d player (compiled the 1.5.3 for this one, the others
where
| 1.5.2), upped the vpn with 1 endpoint only,
| all seems to work fine, but when there's loads of traffic, not just on
the
| cipdb# interfaces,
| but on eth0 eth1 eth2 ppp0 ... and I ping an endpoint of the vpn (or LAN
| behind it), I get these strange errors ..
|
| ping 192.168.0.1
| ... first packet goes fine, but than ...
| 64 octets from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=127 time=1044.8 ms
| wrong data byte #0 should be 0x1 but was 0x00 88 7 3d 20 ed 2 0
|      8 9 a b c d e f 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 1a 1b 1c 1d 1e 1f 20
21
| 22 23 24 25 26 27
|      28 29 2a 2b 2c 2d 2e 2f
| 64 octets from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=127 time=1205.4 ms
| wrong data byte #0 should be 0x2 but was 0x11 88 7 3d 22 ed 2 0
|      8 9 a b c d e f 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 1a 1b 1c 1d 1e 1f 20
21
| 22 23 24 25 26 27
|      28 29 2a 2b 2c 2d 2e 2f
| ... a few more of these, and than when I kill some net downloads that
also
| go via this box (router / firewall / proxy) the icmp messages go back to
| normal ...
|
| Any ideas anybody,
| it also seems that the latency in the pings are much higher from this new
| vpn endpoint, but that may be the 198kbit line that's causing it ... at
no
| traffic it all i get a 120ms (other endpoint is a 256kbit)
|
| thnx,
| Gert
|

| --
http://sites.inka.de/~bigred/devel/cipe.html>

- --
Keith Smith                 keith,AT,ksmith,DOT,com
655 W Fremont Dr
Tempe AZ 85282              it's hot