Subject: suggestions, connecting 2 inconvenient hosts
From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl,AT,charcoal,DOT,com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:49:31 +0200

I have 3 machines in use:
1 - fixed IP addr, no firewall or gateway.
2 - dialup, random IP addr.
3 - fixed IP addr behind ipmasq gateway.

At this time, I connect both 1<->2 and 1<->3 such that 1 has "peer
0.0.0.0:port".  2 and 3 make the "active" side of establishing the
connection, and the world is wonderful, and has been for months.  Fine
so far.

Now I need to connect 2 and 3.  The problem is that, as a dialup, the
line drops every 10 or 12 hours whether I like it or not -- the ISP
just doesn't allow the line to remain permanently in use, though (as
it happens) they don't mind the fact that I immediately reconnect and
so am effectively connected 24x7.

The problem, of course, is that 2 cannot find 3 on its own at all, and
the address of 2 changes with each new connection such that 3 will
have to find it afresh whenever it disappears and comes back.  I use
dyndns.org for 2, which at least means I can do a DNS query to find
it.

What I fear I am stuck with is
- 2 uses "peer 0.0.0.0:port" so that it is passive with regard to
connection establishment, and
- 3 must periodically have its ciped-cb for that link killed and
restarted in order that a new IP addr be found, because ciped-cb does
not have any provision for deciding that the remote "real" IP addr has
changed underneath itself.

Might anyone have any other possible configuration suggestions?
Managing kill/restart this way is a grotesque hack at very best.

--karl