Subject: Re: suggestions, connecting 2 inconvenient hosts
From: Karsten Sperling <s_sperli,AT,ira,DOT,uka,DOT,de>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 15:19:36 +0200

On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> The problem, of course, is that 2 cannot find 3 on its own at all, and
> the address of 2 changes with each new connection such that 3 will
> have to find it afresh whenever it disappears and comes back.  I use
> dyndns.org for 2, which at least means I can do a DNS query to find
> it.

I'm having roughly the same problem, though without host 1.
I think the right solution would be to add a dyndns option to the
current cipe devel version (which already has a stayalive option).
dyndns would imply dynip, and be most useful when used with stayalive.

The implementation could work roughly like this:
- in ciped.c / mainloop(), re-do the dns lookup if dyndns is specified,
  and tell the kernel module via a (new) SIOCSIFCIPPEER ioctl.
- in device.c / sock.c, handle the ioctl call by calling checkpeer()

I didn't have time to implement it yet, though.

- Karsten