Subject: Problems installing/uninstalling on NT4
From: "Mark Smith" <mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:13:16 +0200

I've got a linux <-> linux tunnel up and running pretty much painlessly
(after realising that "make oldconfig dep" is needed to provide the version
details from a bare source tree) and I'm trying to now get a NT4 <-> linux
tunnel working to the same destination.

However, installing CIPE-Win32-2.0-pre14 and rebooting causes all networking
on the NT4 machine to cease.  It can't ping or browse.  Since this is my
work machine, I couldn't leave it in this state so I attempted to uninstall
it.  I assumed this to be simply a case of removing the network adapter.
However, every time I try, I get the error message

An error has occurred
Unable to open the file \cipsvr.exe

Apart from ignoring, which causes the error message

Setup script must end with an EXIT statement

it just doesn't do anything helpful.  For now I've set the device to
disabled and removed the service, and I've got networking back, but still
with the CIPE adapter not working or uninstalling.  My guess at this point
would be to find the INF file it's trying to process and fix it, but I can't
even find it to try to work out what's going wrong.  From what I can see in
the INF file in the installation folder, it's trying to shell to this
program to determine if the service is running and if it is, shut it down.

Any clues at all would be appreciated.  I'm on holiday next week, but I'll
pick up the messages after that.

TIA,

--
Mark Smith - Avco Systems Ltd
email: mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk