Subject: Re: STUN (UDP-through-NAT protocol)
From: Olaf Titz <olaf,AT,bigred,DOT,inka,DOT,de>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 20:17:36 +0200

> I don't know if the CIPE and OpenVPN communities are aware of the work
> on STUN, a lightweight protocol to help UDP applications discover and
> work around NAT boxes.  Making STUN an IETF standards has just been

Thanks for the pointer. Looks like it could indeed be worthwile to
include an STUN client in PKCIPE, this would neatly solve the problem
of connecting two instances behind NATs. The protocol is simple enough
to easily implement.

(Of course the main problem I see with this proposal is that it
requires a service "outside", but this is true for all mechanisms
which allow two NATed instances to communicate.)

Olaf