Subject: Re: W2K/2.0-pre14 service start troubles
From: "Juergen K. Zick" <juergen.zick,AT,ifa,DOT,uni-kassel,DOT,de>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:06:19 +0200

Hi Chris,

> > I observe exactly the same and could not yet figure out why this happens
> > ... My solution just is to start the CIPED via the NET command line
> > interface manually ..
>
>Yeah, I could do that, but this box is destined for off-site user use, so
>that's not really an option once it gets moved off the VPN testbed.

OK, but I've put that into a service as well which is dependend on the
TCPIP module ... That does work around ...

> > I have some W2K boxes where it works without problems, on some others it
> > doesn't work ... and the combination W2K <--> W2K or W2K <--> does not
> > effect this strange behavior ...
>
>One theory I've heard advanced twice is that the service starts too soon,
>probably before networking does.  2K has a dependencies system, but
>there's no obvious way to add or remove dependencies, or change the
>startup schedule.

No, not an obvious way, of course ... But if you look into the system
control group, administration there you find the services status (also
%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s from the command line). There is no
way to insert a dependency, e.g. like NETLOGON has, directly in that
interface, but you could use regedit to insert that one for CIPE as well ..

> > Any other idea where to look Chris? Event logs were no help as well ...
>
>Afraid not, I don't make a habit out of Windows administration, but I have
>heard from another person that he has the same trouble, so it seems to be
>fairly widespread.  Cold comfort, I know :)  Where are the event logs you
>mentioned to be found?  I didn't see any lying about in an obvious place.

Event logs are in the same administration tool in the system control group,
or you can use

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

as the command line to access these ...

Jürgen