Subject: RE: Cipe and masquerading.
From: Rod Boyce <rod_boyce,AT,stratexnet,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 00:13:57 +0200

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Kurt Roeckx [mailto:Q,AT,ping,DOT,be
Sent:   Wednesday, September 25, 2002 2:32 PM
To:     Rod Boyce
Cc:     cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 08:32:07AM +1200, Rod Boyce wrote:
> Kurt,
>
> Firstly how do you know that the CIPE connection is up?

Because I can ping host D from B, and B from D.
Can you see the packets go across the CIPE connection.  'tcpdump -I cipe0 |
grep icmp' will show pings going across the cipe network.  If this is the
case and this works as you describe then.  Your problem is a routing problem
and nothing to do with CIPE.  If this is not the case then you still have a
CIPE problem this is unlikely.

> Do you have the UDP port that you are running CIPE over port forwarded
from
> host C to host D?  I ask this question because you say host D is running
> CIPE but host C is the gateway for that network. This being the case you
> have to have the UPD port that CIPE is running over forwarded from host C
> host D.

Atm not because the UDP port changes all the time.  That's
probably because I use pkcipe.  If you set the ping low enough,
below 30 seconds, it keeps working.

At least one end has to be listening on a known UDP port otherwise how does
the tunnel know where to look in the first instance.

If you think the problem is with A?B then maybe you have a routing problem.
I suggest trying a setting up a source route on host A to host D or the
network host D is connect to.  This will prove the issue and then all you
need to do is set up the routing correctly.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rod Boyce