Subject: Re: Cipe and MTU
From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl,AT,charcoal,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:47:12 +0200

Daniel Gibbs <d.gibbs,AT,online-bills,DOT,com> writes:
> Hi, I've been having problems with some software over CIPE (win2k - >
> redhat)..
> A mate recently said that I may need to change my MTU..
> Can any one sergest a decent one to try ?

I have been using 1400 for CIPE MTU since January.  See archives from
that time for why, in a thread with subject "MTU weirdness".  (Short
explanation: Some piece of routing hardware between myself and many
[not all] of my destinations stopped doing fragmentation properly.)

Because my machine is also the home network's ipmasq gateway, I have
gone further than merely tuning down CIPE's MTU, to tuning down the
MTU on every host in the home network.  Changing this for a Linux host
is as simple as (under RH) adding "MTU=1400" to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 or (under Win9x) getting one
of the registry key things you can find on the net to be imported
which will change MTUs.  I can supply one of those, if you need.