Subject: Re: SMB protocol runs slowly over Cipe
From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter,AT,bank-connect,DOT,com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 14:16:24 +0200

Hi,

> I do SMB over the cipe tunnels all the time, and I have very good
> performance over every link.  Much better then I ever expected, and vast
> improvement over the Windows "PPTP" implementation.
Agree! I'm running some 16 cipe nodes with many different protocols,
including SMB and there are no problems. There's nothing special in my
cipe options files and all problems I've ever ran into were filewalls
don't disable ICMP, take care to reject port 445 instead of ignoring it,
investigate broadcast behaviour), routers (make sure the return path is
the same as the original, sometimes funny MTU's) and silly applications
(WINS, the resource locator and a ton of other services that are on by
default on Microsoft platforms). Cannot tell how to solve your problem.
Can only tell that I don't have this particular one :>)

Peter