Subject: RE: CIPE proposal
From: Tony Langdon <tlangdon,AT,atctraining,DOT,com,DOT,au>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 05:14:40 +0200

> I have to connect our sydney and melbourne office networks.
>
> Would the following be correct?
>
> 1.1.1.1 is the public IP of the DSL router in Sydney
>
> 192.168.0.1 is the win2000 AS server in sydney on the
> network, the router port
> forwards all UDP 9000 requests to the win2000 AS server.
>
> 2.2.2.2 is the public IP of the win2000 AS machine running in
> melbourne.
>
> WINS replication would be running between the two WINS server
> every 6 hours.

I run a similar setup, except that the network infrastructure is Linux
based.  It has been rock solid for a couple of years.  I also have a link
between my home network (Linux) and a Windows 2000 server using CIPE.  This
link is somewhat less reliable and requires occasional restarting of the
CIPE service or even the entire server on the Win2k server.  The Linux
setup, by comparison, has been faultless.

Your setup with Windows on both ends may fare better, but just passing on my
experience.  It's also possible you may be able to find a newer version of
CIPE for Windows than I'm using, which fixes the problems (I think it's more
a CIPE problem than a Windows one).  I also found I had to use a dummy
subnet between the two CIPE interfaces or nothing would work.  Windows
doesn't like 2 interfaces having an IP address in the same subnet.  Just
pluck something weird out of the 10.x.x.x address space or an unallocated
192.168.x.x network for this function, assign one of the CIPE interfaces .1
and the other .2 from that network.

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses