Subject: Re: Monolithic Kernel Build w/Cipe
From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter,AT,bank-connect,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:54:24 +0200

Yo!

> I'm trying to build a monolithic kernel (to hopefully prevent LKM trojans).
> Thus, I remove module support but then, naturally, I can't seem to get the
> Cipe module to build into the mono kernel.
The majority seems to find:
- No we don't.
- Kernel 2.5.X will only support moduled drivers, no linked-in ones.
- If you have adequate priviliges to break modules, you can break al
other parts of the system just as easily.

Personally I do like the monolithic kernel idea. Sure, once root:
nothing matters. But there's just the added risk for non-root to exploit
some buffer overflow in a module related area. There's also the
convenience of a KERNEL that just works, without probing, parameters and
what not else. Flexibility is a curse as easily as it is a blessing.

Anyway, I think you're trying in vain.

Rat Head by the way has more than one peculiarity in it's private
interpretation of kernel code. It's known for problems with things like
Cipe. Cannot tell from experience though... me Slackware addict :>)

CIAO, Peter