Subject: Re: CIPE and ADSL lines
From: Mike Gende <mgende,AT,gendesign,DOT,com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:16:44 +0200

Norberto Altalef wrote:

> Many thanks Mike and Tony for your help.
>
> So, I will not use PKCIPE neither  :) and I will try with some Dynamic DNS
> or the ping option.
>
> Sorry, but is not enough clear for me, how can I setup the routes
> in order a user can access the tunnel and the Internet from the same
> machine.
>
> OK, the ppp0 interface will be the default route for the cipe box.
> In the internal network I have several Win9x boxes with the default gateway
> pointing to the IP asigned to the cipcb0 interface.
> In this way, a user can telnet a remote host and all the traffic will be
> trough the vpn. Up this point I understand, but how can I direct IE packets
> in order they don't use the vpn ?.

I think you are getting confused with the fact that cipcb0 (your cipe
interface)
and ppp0 (your Internet interface) are both "the Internet". Think of them as
two
seperate interfaces, like eth0 and eth1 (if I understand your confusion). So,
route via the cipcb0 interface to your remote LAN, you would have a command
something like: route add -net 192.168.XXX.XXX netmask 255.255.255.0 dev
cipcb0
(this is just an example, obviously). Then, you'd set your default route to
ppp0,
route add default ppp0, and that's that for the Cipe box. I also assume here
that
you've set up some firewall (ipchains, iptables) that masquerades your
Internet
connection for the sake of the other LAN users. Finally, set the default
route on
all your LAN users to point to the Cipe box as default. That way, they've
access
to the remote LAN and the Internet and your Cipe box will figure out what
packets
go where. If you don't want to have your other LAN users set the cipe box as
default, due to a more complex LAN than I'm illustrating here, do this: Add a
route for the remote network you're using Cipe to get to on each LAN users box
just like you did on the Cipe box, but instead of the "dev cipcb0", say "gw
cipebox". Clear as mud?

Mike