Subject: Re: Cipe as Dialup
From: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:54:22 +0200

If you're going to take the protocol overhead hit anyway, why not simply do
PPP over ethernet instead ? I have never seen a good case for applying dialup
network sementics to VPN links. In fact, that behaviour inherent in PPTP, was
one of the motivations to running CIPE on Windows  in the first place. All of
the behaviours that you espouse are not tied to Windows RAS and its APIs. We
can, with the existing framework, force prompting for shared secrets (or even
a PGP passphrase for PGP encrypted shared secrets).

Things like IP address pools and such may actually be better served by
allowing DHCP/BOOTP over CIPE because, frankly, PPTP/RAS suck.

DKW