Subject: RE: Cipe as Dialup
From: "Les Mikesell" <les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:45:15 +0200

> From: Damion Wilson
>
> Things like IP address pools and such may actually be better served by
> allowing DHCP/BOOTP over CIPE because, frankly, PPTP/RAS suck.

I normally run CIPE connections as 4-host subnets just like a
typical serial link between routers would be configured because
that is exactly the function they serve.   On Linux I have to ifconfig
the subnet mask to 255.255.255.252 before adding routes through it.
It actually works the same with the default point-to-point configuration
(of the unix/linux version) but SNMP viewers don't know the end points
are connected unless they fit in the netmask.

For ad-hoc links to single machines like the typical PPTP use, what
you really want is for the connecting client to be handed an IP address
automatically that belongs on the server/network side with proxy-arp
avoiding the need for any route updates.  I'd like to see a scheme where
an ssh connection could be used to bring up the remote side of a CIPE
link like this on demand without needing other per-connection configuration.

   Les Mikesell