Subject: Re: CIPE over Dynamic NAT
From: Mike Gende <mgende,AT,gendesign,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 01:09:51 +0100

Mark Goldie wrote:

> Hello Peoples,
>

> I have a Cable/DSL connection where my Telco does dynamnic IP addressing to
>screw up anyone wanting to run any type of service, not only that but they
>rotate the addresses every x minutes. I have a dynamic DNS script (using
>expect) to get the External IP from my router and update a DNS server with
>the new IP address. Of course this (along with NAT) makes running a standard
>VPN/IPSEC useless and I was looking at CIPE as another possible.
>
> Before I go too far down the testing route, I guess I have to ask if the
>base CIPE will handle this setup?

We do several setups much like that one. Yes, Cipe will do it. It helps to
have one end as a nailed down IP, but we've even done it with two dynamic
ones. That can be tenuous, but is possible.  As for the dynamic IP thing,
that isn't all bad, for us anyway. We get the occasional Denial of Service
attack from which we can easily flee by re-establishing our connection (to
ADSL, ISDN, PPP) and getting a fresh address. Since we no longer
update a dynamic DNS server (we used easyDNS) for our customers, it makes it
hard for them to find you again. Anyhow, Cipe has been working for us in
similar situation. Glad to talk about it if you like, I know other here have
done similar things also.

Regards,

Mike