Subject: Re: IPv6 inside UDP inside IPv4 [Ethernet not an option]
From: Eric Mathew Hopper <hopper,AT,omnifarious,DOT,org>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:53:06 +0100

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 11:59:18AM -0500, Harald Koch wrote:

> > Yes, that was my thought as well.  :-(  And, by the fact that IPv6
> > addresses are never assigned to cipcbn interfaces, I surmise that CIPE
> > does not support IPv6 natively.
>
> Reconfigure/recompile CIPE with --enable-protocol=4, and it will
> create ciped-db and cipdb.o. This version uses ethernet-style framing,
> and will support any protocol (including IPv6) natively on the
> interface. I've been running this configuration, including Zebra with
> ospf6d, for over a year.
>
> (This is all documented, btw; that's how I found it :-)

I was also aware this option existed.  I should perhaps have
specifically said that this isn't what I wanted.  I see little point in
having IPv6/Ethernet/UDP/IPv4 instead of IPv6/IPv4/UDP/IPv4.  The
Ethernet framing is very useful for making two LANs seem like they're
bridged, but for reducing the number of layers, it's not so useful.

Thanks,
--
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."  --- Thomas Jefferson