Subject: Re: IPv6 inside UDP inside IPv4 [Ethernet not an option]
From: Eric Mathew Hopper <hopper,AT,omnifarious,DOT,org>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:50:55 +0100

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:25:10PM -0500, Harald Koch wrote:
> Ah, ok. The other solution that I know of is to use IPsec; that would
> give you IPv6/ESP/IPv4 (and ESP packets are relatively small). Of
> course, that doesn't work if you need the "over UDP" part, i.e. to get
> past firewalls.

*nod* I tried before I tried CIPE in order to get IPv4 in IPv4.  Because
of the NAT, it wouldn't work.  If the NAT router was at all
sophisticated, and I had access, I bet I could set up something to route
IP packets with the protocol field of IPv6 in IP, or IP in IP to a
particular internal IP.  But, I don't have that kind of access, sadly.

The router does support IPSEC, but its support (it's an old Cisco) is
somehow slightly nonstandard, and the keylengths require me to turn on
all the "this is terribly dangerous and insecure" flags in FreeSWAN.

IPv6 in IPv4 in UDP in IPv4 works for now, so I guess that's what I'll
stick with.  But, IPv6 in UDP would be really nice to have.  :-)

Thanks all,
--
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."  --- Thomas Jefferson