Subject: RE: Pkcipe on Redhat 8.0
From: "Eric M. Hopper" <hopper,AT,omnifarious,DOT,org>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:09:46 +0100

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 03:01, jg voisine wrote:
> i have the same probleme , i try to recompile kernel but i have errors so i
> don't know what to do

This has to do with how the kernel source tree is set up on RedHat.
Here are some instructions for you:

Edit /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-18.8.0/Makefile

Change the line that says:
EXTRAVERSION = -18.8.0custom
to say:
EXTRAVERSION = -18.8.0

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-18.8.0

make mrproper
make xconfig
Select 'Load configuration from file'
Type in: 'configs/<whatever is right for your system>' as the file to
load.
Select 'Save and Exit'
gmake deps

Now, go through the steps of making cipe, passing
--with-linux=/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-18.8.0 as an argument to the
configure script.

The resulting kernel module should load properly with no errors.

What's going on is this:

The kernel, in order to insure that every module that's installed will
work with that particular compile of the kernel changes the names of all
the kernel symbols according to some formula based on the version and
possibly what kernel config options are set.  This means that a module
not compiled against the exact kernel you have installed on your system
will fail to load with modprobe, giving some kind of error about
undefined symbols.

The steps I lead you through above are designed to set up the kernel
source tree to have symbol mangling that's exactly the same as whatever
kernel is actually installed on your system.  I actually used this to
compile kernel modules for several different RedHat 8.0 machines I have
that run CIPE.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they
be properly armed.  -- Alexander Hamilton