Subject: RE: Pkcipe on Redhat 8.0
From: Alan Stern <stern,AT,rowland,DOT,harvard,DOT,edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:43:47 +0100

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Dick St.Peters wrote:

> Note: Contrary to an earlier posting, the symbol extensions do NOT
> make modules dependent on specific kernels - they do exactly the
> opposite.  It is when CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not set that modules must
> match the kernel version.  When CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is set, the
> extensions are computed from only the things the module actually
> depends on.  Then a module built for one kernel version can be used
> with a different kernel version as long as the things the module
> depends on don't change.

Really?  That's not what I thought.  My understanding was that without
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS, the kernel symbols would not have any extensions
added.  That way, a module compiled without the extensions would have a
good chance of matching the kernel's symbols, even if it had been compiled
for a different kernel.  With CONFIG_MODVERSIONS set, the symbol
extensions are added, so a module would not be loadable unless it also had
been compiled with symbol extensions and the extensions matched -- which
in practice means the module was compiled for that specific kernel.

Alan Stern