Subject: RE: hostname resolution: where to setup DNS for private lans ?
From: Tony Langdon <tlangdon,AT,atctraining,DOT,com,DOT,au>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 02:54:22 +0100

> Both gateways will be running CIPE/Masquerading, as well as
> DNS to serve each
> respective local private lan.
>
> My question is: how do hosts on Private Lan A resolve names
> for hosts on
> Private Lan B ? Is it as simple as pointing the resolv.conf
> on Lan A hosts
> to Gateway B *and* Gateway A ?

On the home network VPN (to a friend's place) made one DNS server on LAN A
master, and all other DNS servers on both LANS slave for LAN A's domain.
Similarly, for LAN B, I made one of the LAN B servers master and the rest of
the DNS servers on both LANS slave.  That way, you any DNS server can
resolve queries for both LANS and you have full redundancy as well.

> Sort of related: Shall the domain name of Lan A be different
> from Lan B ? does
> is matter if they are the same ? does it matter if they are
> different ?

It can be made to work either way.  In my home case, I used different
domains, because it suited the application at hand.  In the office
application though, there are multiple LANS, but a single domain.  The
master DNS server is at head office and each site has one or two slave
servers for local clients to query.

So it can work either way.

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses

This correspondence is for the named person?s use only. It may contain