Subject: Re: winxp and redhat cipe client/server
From: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 06:29:16 +0100

<rant>
Windows NT startup stuff is just plain silly. They came up with a scheme for
describing dependency trees which could have been pretty handy. It lets you
describe which "group" of services/drivers your service should start with and
which one/s in the group should be started before yours.

However, it doesn't always work, and there's little information to describe
what your service needed that wasn't started when it needed to be. Combine
this with all of the intertwined service & OS dependencies (remember how IE
became part of the kernel...?) and you are left guessing when to start your
service.
</rant>

Getting to the point, there is some service or driver or OS component that is
bound to TCP/IP or NetBUEI or whatever, or possibly the security components
that Windows uses to provide the entropy generators (random numbers) are
starting later than when cipsrvr.exe needs them. It's guesswork unless you
can run the whole OS under the debugger while the thing loads. After the boot
is complete, starting cipsrvr will just keep succeeding.

You can try adjusting the startup order for cipsrvr.exe but the best
workaround for you will probably be to just set the service to manual and
then start it up using a Run entry in the registry. In fact, I might even do
that myself...

DKW