Subject: Re: winxp and redhat cipe client/server
From: Alan Stern <stern,AT,rowland,DOT,harvard,DOT,edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:39:09 +0100

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Amith Varghese wrote:

> > <rant>
> > </rant>
>
> ranting is good...especial when working with windows :)  maybe some day we
>won't
> have to rant... sigh.

Amen.

>  Any ideas on my last question?
>
> > > One more question.  I'm also trying to get the redhat server to talk to
> > > another redhat machine.  Do both machines have to have the UDP port open
> > > their respective firewalls to work?  Or does just the server?

Well, clearly the server does, or otherwise the client won't be able to
reach it at all.  The server will reply to the same UDP port the client's
original packet came from.  If the mere act of sending the original
request causes the firewall to open that port for replies, then the client
doesn't have to do anything else.  But otherwise yes, because the server
needs to be able to communicate back with the client.

Alan Stern