Subject: Re: hardcopy of cipe documentation
From: Olaf Titz <olaf,AT,bigred,DOT,inka,DOT,de>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:44:20 +0100

> perhaps, for those that d/l the texinfo files from the web site (e.g. from
> the 1.5.x link in the Documentation box, or from any of the texinfo choices
>in
> the "Older Releases" box at the bottom of the page), perhaps for these
>people,
> the necessary macro file(s) might be included. this means instead of
>d/l'ing,

This might be a solution, but I've already got the suggestion to just
include the .texinfo file in the distribution instead of the .info and
build the .info from the toplevel Makefile. To distribute separate
docs for older versions isn't worth the hassle when that brings up
nontrivial source control effort[1].

Most systems should have makeinfo installed anyway.

Olaf

[1] The root cause is that the list of valid ciped options is in one
master file (options.in), from which parts of both the ciped source
and the texinfo docs are generated. I prefer this approach because
this makes adding or changing options easier without forgetting one of
the uses (look at squid, which uses this method for a much bigger set
of options). This also means that to generate docs for older versions
the complete source of that version is necessary; I could just check
them out from CVS but there needs to be a build process when I want to
distribute them on the web site.