Subject: cannot ping the tunnel
From: "Swavek Hryniewicz" <swavek,AT,spmresorts,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 03:01:09 +0100

Hello everyone,

I can't seem to get cipe to work on my setup and I have been working on it
for over a week now, so any help would be appreciated.

Anyway I'm trying to set it up between two linux boxes that at the time
being are not running any kind of firewall.

Here is a setup for the first one: /etc/cipe/options

# the peer's IP address
ptpaddr         192.168.100.2
# our CIPE device's IP address
ipaddr          192.168.100.1
# my UDP address. Note: if you set port 0 here, the system will pick
# one and tell it to you via the ip-up script. Same holds for IP 0.0.0.0.
me              xxxx.xxxx.xxx.xxxx:9999
# ...and the UDP address we connect to. Of course no wildcards here.
peer            xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxx:9999
# The static key. Keep this file secret!
# The key is 128 bits in hexadecimal notation.
key             xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is the setup for the second one: /etc/cipe/options

# the peer's IP address
ptpaddr   192.168.100.1
# our CIPE device's IP address
ipaddr    192.168.100.2
# my UDP address. Note: if you set port 0 here, the system will pick
# one and tell it to you via the ip-up script. Same holds for IP 0.0.0.0.
me        xxxx.xxxxx.xxxx.xxxx:9999
# ...and the UDP address we connect to. Of course no wildcards here.
peer      xxxx.xxxxxxxxx.xxxx:9999
# The static key. Keep this file secret!
# The key is 128 bits in hexadecimal notation.
key       xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

in both cipe.log files, i see the entries acknowledging that the devices
have started when started using:
/usr/sbin/ciped-cb -o /etc/cipe/options.cipcb0

However, when I start ciped-cb with the debug option (/usr/sbin/ciped-cb -o
/etc/cipe/options.cipcb0 debug), I get this output on both

CIPE daemon vers 1.4.5 (c) Olaf Titz 1996-2000
device=cipcb0
debug=yes
ipaddr=192.168.100.1
ptpaddr=192.168.100.2
mtu=0
metric=0
cttl=0
me=xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx:9999
peer=xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx:9999
key=(secret)
nokey=no
socks=
tokxc=0
tokey=0
ipup=(none)
ipdown=(none)
arg=(none)
maxerr=-1
tokxts=0
ping=0
toping=0
dynip=no
Using cipcb0 index 0

which looks like it is getting stuck, even though the device shows up when
/sbin/ifconfig command is issued

ip forwarding is set on both hosts:

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward 1

The problem is that I can't ping the tunnel at all, meaning from the first
one I can't ping 192.168.100.2 and vice versa. Both the linuxes are RedHat
7.2, and both have cipe version cipe-1.4.5-6.

I hope someone can help me out, cause I really would like to get this
stuff working.

Once again, thanks in advance, Swavek.