Subject: Re: options config...
From: insecure,AT,mail,DOT,od,DOT,ua
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:28:58 +0100

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 19:22, Amith Varghese wrote:
> I spoke too soon.  I can ping Linux B from Linux A with no problems.
> However if I don't use the tunnel for a little while, I am unable to
> initiate a ping to Linux A from Linux B.  If I go back to Linux A and then
> ping Linux B and then try again from Linux B back to Linux A everything
> works.  Looks like Linux A is unable to initiate the tunnel.

You have a firewall between B and A, it is blocking B from A.
Firewall forgets UDP port mappings after a short while and UDP
packets from A cannot reach B.

You can:
1) set ping=NN in config file at B. ciped will send keepalive packets
   every NN secs.
   or
2) set up a ping watchdog which restarts ciped on B
   if pings stop working.

(2) is better. It restores tunnel (and can log errors, email root,
   engare fire siren etc ;)
--
vda