Subject: Re: [Fwd: cipe build problems]
From: Kim Lux <lux,AT,diesel-research,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:39:43 +0100

> I believe your points are well said and right on the mark.

Thanks.

> I have put together
>  a few cipe vpn's and in the beginning it was difficult to wade through the
>docs.
> I welcome an improved document.

Good.  You sound like you have some CIPE experience.

> I am curious; Do you plan to document the process from RedHat rpm or from
>source or both? I can help with the from source part if you'd like.

I think we should document both.  It is the least I can do for the open
source movement, of which I have benefitted greatly.  I think that CIPE
is a really good package and it is a shame to see such an easy to fix
issue mar its reputation.

> You may want to check out the book "Building Linux Virtual Private
>Networks" published by New Riders.
> The version I have is a bit dated but I found that it filled some gaps left
>by the cipe documentation - but it is certainly not enough for cipe by
>itself.

I've read it.  I was focusing in IPSEC at the time, but I found out the
routers that implement that can't do NATing at the same time.  Thus my
interest in CIPE.

> Also, I've always prefered the html format for online docs although pdf
>works well too (
> perhaps both would be appropriate). I also like to see examples expressed
>in images (this
> is where the book mentioned above does a good job).

I thought that book was absolutely outstanding.   I agree with html
pages, when they are "the whole thing in one doc" not "a page for each
little subject".  I like to print out the doc for new stuff that I am
working on, so that I can make notes in the margins, etc.

> If you would like some help, I'm happy to do so. If not, that's ok too -
>either way
> I will be very interested to see what you come up with.

Great.  I've got a highly edited/commented version of the current doc,
if you want to see it. I can private email it or send it to the group.
Warning: I was tired when I started and I'm kind of terse.

--
Kim Lux <lux,AT,diesel-research,DOT,com>