Subject: Re: XP problems
From: Bret Hughes <bhughes,AT,elevating,DOT,com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 07:52:31 +0100

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 23:48, Kim Lux wrote:
> I can't answer that directly, Bret.  I'm setting up my first CIPE
> network tomorrow.
>
> I've done a lot of stuff with technology and when things don't work, the
> first thing I do is scale back the problem to the simplest form. I'd try
> hooking a linux laptop where you want the XP box to hook in and see if
> that works.
>
> Secondly, if that does work, I'd try hooking the XP box onto the first
> network.
>
> I'm wondering if the Linux and XP machines are using the same
> encryption.  CIPE can be built with a number of encryption methods.  The
> next thing I would look at is the key that is being used.  I suspect the
> dropout is occurring during the key exchange, but I am only guessing.
>
> Kim

good advice on all points.  I will try the linux box on monday but I am
pretty sure that since it works great by the manual method that the
problem lies in the XP startup process.  Now I am wishing that had
thought to put vnc on the xp box so I could do some testing here rather
than the clients office.  I can ssh directly into the cipe server and as
a result get into the network but for obvious reasons can't do anything
on the xp workstation.

If you read some of the threads at

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=cipe&w=2&r=1&s=windows&q=b

specifically the thread titled: Re: FYI: Cipe Service start reg patch ?
you will see what I am talking about.

Bret