Subject: Re: how to tell if an interface is in use
From: "Dick St.Peters" <stpeters,AT,NetHeaven,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:28:46 +0100

> >> If one end goes down, the other won't know about it until it
> >> tries to talk.
>
> Not true, if you use the "ping" configuration file parameter.  CIPE
> will carry out an internal ping of the remote endpoint as often as you
> like.

I consider any form of "ping" as an attempt to "talk" in this
context.

However, since you bring it up, do you find this internal ping
actually works for you?  I've been unable to make it work so far - at
least not "work" in the sense of detecting a remote end being down.  In
fact, just today I ssh'd to a remote system and found it was still
running its ciped-cb daemon with the interface showing UP, although the
remote (from its perspective) end has been down for 2 or 3 weeks.
The config includes
    ping    60
    maxerr  5

Shortly after I tried a "real" ping to see what would happen, the
interface went down, and the daemon exited.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters,AT,NetHeaven,DOT,com