Subject: Re: cipe version error
From: Kim Lux <lux,AT,diesel-research,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:06:22 +0100

> The kernel is complaining that the version of the daemon in use does
> not match the version of the kernel module that has been insmod'd.

OK.

> If you installed CIPE yourself, then you have 2 instances of
> the kernel module cipcb.o sitting in your kernel tree, in
> /lib/modules/VERSION/kernel/drivers/addon/cipe/cipcbo.o (supplied by
> RH) and /lib/modules/VERSION/misc/cipcb.o (installed by you).

My kernel tree only has 1 version of cipcb.o in it.

ie: .../drivers/addon does not exist in my current kernel tree.

Furthermore, if I attempt to insmod cipcb from an older kernel tree, I
get the following:

[root@.../cipe]# /sbin/insmod ./cipcb.o
./cipcb.o: kernel-module version mismatch
        ./cipcb.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.18-18.8.0
        while this kernel is version 2.4.21-pre4.
> The wrong kernel module has been insmod'd.

It appears that I've got the right cipcb.o for the kernel.  I think what
you are saying is that the cipe daemon doesn't like the version of the
cipe module.  How does one get the version of the module ? lsmod -V
gives you the version of lsmod, not the module itself.

> Force insmod of the right module and you'll probably be fine.

I'm at a loss how to do this.  I installed cipe 1.4.5-11 from an
internet RPM because I thought that cipe on the client and cipe on the
server were different versions.

I could uninstall the rpm and reinstall cipe from my RH cds easily
enough.  However, the problem will still be there as this was why I
installed from the rpm in the first place.

Question: when one installs from the rpm, does it install a new kernel
module ?  I guess not.  How then can one install cipe from an rpm if it
must match the kernel ?

Kim Lux <lux,AT,diesel-research,DOT,com>