Subject: Re: CIPE source code modifications
From: Carsten Emde <ce,AT,ceag,DOT,ch>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:46:09 +0100

Damion Wilson wrote:
 > No, I'm afraid I don't right now. [..]
 > Michael Da Cova wrote:
 >> [..] do you have any time scales for the below changes [..] ?
 >> Damion Wilson wrote:
 >>> [..] Please be aware that I will be rewriting the Control

After reading Michael's message and listening to some active CIPE users,
I decided to add the remaining items from my TODO list and to make the
resulting binaries and source files available.

I have tested it successfully under Windows 2000. As I said in my
earlier mail, I do not yet have a Windows XP system available for
testing but I will acquire one and do some testing soon. In the
meantime, I would appreciate, if someone out there had the time to test
it under XP.

Again, I tried my very best to follow the existing style when attacking
the sources. I would be glad, if Damion could find the time to integrate
some of the most wanted features into the master sources.

1. Changelog
------------

Started at version 2.0.pre-15

#1  02/19/03  cbe
Modified the handling of the key string: If no key is available, the
edit field remains empty. A newly entered key string will be stored in
the registry. If a key is already available, it is displayed and can be
reused.

#2  02/26/03  cbe
Further modified the handling of the key string: If a key is already
available, it is displayed as a string of asterisks. It will not be
stored when the dialog box is closed.

#3  02/27/03  cbe
Added a version resource to cipsrvr.exe and to cipepanel.cpl. Added an
about box to cipsrvr.exe (right mouse click on the title bar: "About
CIPE ..." menu entry).

#4  02/28/03  cbe
Redesigned the cipepanel.cpl dialog box. Improved the check to determine
whether any of the edit fields has been modified. If none was modified,
the server does not need to be restarted. Added a combo box presenting a
choice of all local IP addresses. Provided browse buttons to enter
filenames of the startup and the shutdown scripts.

#5  03/01/03  cbe
Added 0.0.0.0 to the choice of local IP addresses.

#6  03/02/03  cbe
Added plausibility checks to all edit fields including validity check of
the IP addresses. Fixed a problem that prevented the status message from
being displayed. Added a DNS resolver test of the remote IP address.

#7  03/05/03  cbe
Improved display of the version information in the about box. Provided
Apply button to save the data and restart the server without leaving the
dialog box. Added server status to the about box. Added display of the
peer name to the title bar. An asterisk following the name denotes that
the peer data have been changed. When the tree is collapsed, an asterisk
after the title denotes that the data of at least one peer has been
modified, or a peer has been added or deleted. Improved display of error
messages when the server could not be started/restarted. Added the
newest msvcp60.dll that I could find (#8972 of January 22, 2003) to
avoid the confusing question during installation about rewriting or not
the existing file.

#8  03/09/03  cbe
Added editor to edit the startup and shutdown scripts. Two peers can no
longer have the same name. When a new peer is added, the default name
will have a suffix #2, #3 etc.

#9  03/10/03  cbe
Added a function to the script editor to generate default script files.

#10 03/13/03  cbe
The generated routing script was incorrect when a peer had been deleted.
Added optional encryption of the key when it is written to the registry.
The password is not stored but must be entered every time when the CIPE
peer is started. This authentication mechanism does not yet work well
when several peers are in use.

#11 03/18/03  cbe
Fixed a problem that prevented a peer with a password protected key from
being reenabled.

2. How to install
-----------------

Download ftp://ftp.web-alm.net/pub/download/cipe-2.0.15.11.tgz and
unpack it. You will find the contents of the original disk1 directory.
Use it in exactly the same way as you did with the disk1 contents from
CIPE-Win32-2.0-pre15.zip

3. How to compile
-----------------

Backup the original CIPE source directory. Download the source archive
ftp://ftp.web-alm.net/pub/download/cipe-src-2.0.15.11.tgz and unpack it
into the CIPE source directory. Add isvalidip.obj, fileversion.obj,
cipeedit.obj and cipepasswd.obj to the list of cipanel's link objects in
cipapplt/makefile. The cryptographic functions are taken from Crypto++:
a C++ Class Library of Cryptographic Primitives, Version 5.0 9/11/2002;
  from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cryptopp/crypto50.zip?download.
Get it, compile it and add the library to the link commands in
cipapplt/makefile and cipsrvr/makefile.

4. Disclaimer
Any misbehavior of this CIPE version is solely my fault, not Damion's or
anybody else's. The software changes I made and the sources I provided
are freely distributable under the GNU public license. As such, there is
no guarantee whatsoever.

Carsten Emde