Subject: Re: CIPE source code modifications
From: Carsten Emde <ce,AT,ceag,DOT,ch>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 03:13:49 +0100

Damion,

> It would seem that you've already made your fork available for general
> comsumption with confusing version info. CIPE-Win32 is still prerelease,
> hence the "PRE" in pre15 (there are still one or two issues with the kernel
> driver that need to be exorcised once and for all). So, I'd suggest that if
> you're going to continue with providing it as a full distribution then you
> should change the version info to indicate that and to include your name or
> something to indicate that this is a fork and not the "official" version..
> That way, if someone running your version has a question about it, then
>they
> can ask you.
Sorry about that. Just fixed a bug and a few problems that have been
introduced with the key encryption and released it under the new name
cipe-2.0.pre-15.wa-12.

This is the most recent changelog entry:
#12 03/19/03  cbe
The server crashed when an invalid password was entered to re-enable a
password protected peer. The password is now checked, before it is
accepted. Improved the behavior of password related dialog items.
Corrected the version display in the About box to 2.0.pre-15. Provided
the information that this is not the original Titz-Wilson version.

You may download this version from here:

ftp://ftp.web-alm.net/pub/download/cipe-2.0.pre-15.wa-12.tgz
ftp://ftp.web-alm.net/pub/download/cipe-src-2.0.pre-15.wa-12.tgz

> 4. [..] Does
> the combo box only allow the local IP addresses or does it let you type in
> what you want anyway ?
You may still type in what you want.

> 10. Please explain this mechanism to me.
When password protection is enabled, the user is asked to enter a
password. The cipher key is then encrypted, and the resulting key is
written to the registry in hexadecimal notation, when the dialog box is
quit. When the computer is restarted and the peer is created, it is
disabled internally, since the password is required to decrypt the
cipher key. The user may then open the CIPE Settings box and click on
Enable. The password dialog box will then pop up, and the user may enter
the appropriate password to enable the peer. The same happens when the
user logs off and logs in again. This ensures that the CIPE VPN
connection, e.g. to a corporate network, cannot be enabled by
unauthorized personal such as during repair or when the computer is
unattended.

Carsten.