Subject: Re: cipe-Win32 (2.0-pre15) and ARP requests...
From: "Lawrence Katz" <ljk,AT,larryka,DOT,tzo,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 05:30:09 +0100

Rod and Tony,

Thanks for the replies.  They made me take a step back and realize
that my routing was wrong :)  I decided to set my notebook's PTPAddr
to and the server's PTPAddr to  I then added
a static route of via on my notebook, and a
static route of via on my home network's
default gateway.  After doing this, everything is working perfectly.
I can now ping/access all of the hosts on my home network from a
dial-up connection.  We'll see what happens tomorrow when I'm in the
office and behind our firewall.

I guess my issue before was that I was trying to use the
interface as the gateway address for the subnet,
causing windows to think that hosts were on the local CIPE
interface.  This was probably causing Windows to send ARP requests,
which weren't being answered.  Spoofing the MAC address to the interface somehow caused the packets to make it through
the tunnel and back.