Subject: Re: CIPE source code modifications
From: Carsten Emde <ce,AT,ceag,DOT,ch>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 03:08:11 +0100

Damion K. Wilson wrote:

> I'm just now sorting out how to setup cipsrvr.exe to support a control
> protocol instead of reading the registry itself. This way it may run and
>know
> only that certain adapters exist but not how they are supposed to run until
> an external application tells it too. I'm decidedly not in favor of using a
> configuration file like on Linux, I didn't even really like using the
> registry, though that's where the adapter information is. Are you reading
>the
> config files and loading them into the registry, or have you hacked
> cipsrvr.exe to read them ? Let me know, because if you are doing the
>former,
> it'll be easier to integrate later.
No, no. The load and save mechanism I implemented has nothing to do with
the registry interface - it is only used during installation. The data
from the configuration file (e.g. on a provided floppy disk) are merely
copied to the edit fields of the dialog box in order to facilitate the
peer configuration. This is normally done only once, and the floppy disk
is typically destroyed thereafter.

As I wrote in an earlier mail, I would propose to continue using the
registry.

Carsten.