Subject: RE: CIPE source code modifications
From: "Mark Smith" <mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:51:43 +0100

Damion wrote:

> Let me know what you guys think about all this. It's a major change in the
> operation of the cipsrvr.

I agree it is, and in this case I can see another good reason to switch away
from using the registry.  In my experience, a good number of end users do
not have full access to the registry in the first place and do not have
Administrative access to their own systems as they are managed by an
external support company.  All that would be needed would be to install the
driver and let the rest come later.  For these people, having something
running in a user context talking to the driver to establish a connection,
be it static (i.e. from file or parameters) or dynamic (i.e. from pkcipe)
would be really really helpful.  This method of control and access would
then make it trivially simple to setup a link, both for the first time and
subsequently.

I also strongly recommend that access to your control protocol is limited by
ACL to enhance the overall security.  This may seem to defeat my above
statement, but it is the usual method of security under Win32 that
corresponds to user permissions under Linux and would control who could
control the link information.  Also, the file containing the link
information, be it plain text or not, could easily be stored on an NTFS
drive with a restricted ACL to prevent just anyone from reading it, just
like CIPE under Linux.

If it's a port you're after, these are the Win32 equivalents.

I wanted to say something about version control, and multiple people working
on the system while it's still in pre-release, but I can't seem to find a
way to say 'play nice' that doesn't sound (or could be taken as) unfriendly.
I think it's fair to say that it's a brilliant concept that lots of people
find useful, and in some circumstances, essential.  That's why I personally
am here, and if I ever do get the time to contribute, I'd really like to,
but I've only just come back from holiday and my workload doesn't give me
time to pursue my own projects.

So take care all, and stay happy.

--
Mark Smith - Avco Systems Ltd
email: mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk