Subject: Re: CIPE source code modifications
From: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:56:53 +0100

This can be handled by different management frontends. My aim is to arrange
things so that people with different security needs can write interfaces to
cipsrvr that implement their particular style of management. In the future,
you'll only have to maintain your control panel and not cipsrvr itself.
The BerkeleyDB interface that I want to use will allow protected CIPE
configuration storage on floppies and USB keys, but some people will want to
continue to use the registry. That's fine, too.

I'm simply trying to head off problems in the future of having multiple,
imcompatible forks of cipsrvr.exe, which is a bad idea for the CIPE
community. If everyone decided to do that then the project would be in
disarray. There are obviously differing opinions on how the backend security
of the cipe control information is handled on Windows (an issue that doesn't
seem to exist on Linux) and the only way to properly handle it is to split
off that functionality from the actual operation of the tunneling mechanism.

I'd appreciate your help in this matter. We all need to use as much foresight
in this as possible.

DKW