Subject: Re: CIPE source code modifications
From: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:11:05 +0100

Well, that's where the device information is, but that doesn't prevent
Mozilla
from storing its user configuration data in the application's directory or
SSH from keeping its key information in "Documents & Settings". If you read
my earlier posts, you'll see that I want to create the ability for users to
store their key data anywhere they want to. The registry is the worst place
possible (backup/recovery, protection, etc) but if you want to keep doing
that, then that's fine, you can have a Control Panel applet that lets you. If
someone else wants to keep their information in LDAP, then that should be
fine, too. I, personally want to store the information in protected form on
media of my choice, which you cannot accomplish using the registry.

Ultimately, this path (or something like it) will be necessary to prevent
terminal forking of the project. I've noted that most of the differing
requirements are popping up with the management tools (and not with the inner
workings). It's better for me not to have to maintain different versions of
cipsrvr and cipdrvr all over the place. Do you want to ?

Even though I dislike being a manager, it's up to me to try and get some kind
of concensus on these kind of issues. The sooner we can, the sooner I can get
to coding.

DKW