Subject: Re: CIPE source code modifications
From: "Eric M. Hopper" <hopper,AT,omnifarious,DOT,org>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:20:58 +0100

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 09:01, Damion Wilson wrote:
> Well, that's where the device information is, but that doesn't prevent
> from storing its user configuration data in the application's directory or
> SSH from keeping its key information in "Documents & Settings". If you read
> my earlier posts, you'll see that I want to create the ability for users to
> store their key data anywhere they want to. The registry is the worst place
> possible (backup/recovery, protection, etc) but if you want to keep doing
> that, then that's fine, you can have a Control Panel applet that lets you.
> someone else wants to keep their information in LDAP, then that should be
> fine, too. I, personally want to store the information in protected form on
> media of my choice, which you cannot accomplish using the registry.

In fact, Mozilla not keeping its stuff in the registry is a big part of
why I use it on those rare occasions that I run Windows.  I don't want
my history, cache and who knows what else scattered higgedly piggedly
across the filesystem.

Whether or not that's relevant to CIPE is another question.  I agree
that having information on a floppy would be good.  That makes it
possible to walk up to a random Windows box, and turn it into a VPNed
extension of your corporate network as long as you have the magic disk.
Very nice and convenient.

Have fun (if at all possible),
The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they
be properly armed.  -- Alexander Hamilton
-- Eric Hopper (hopper,AT,omnifarious,DOT,org
http://www.omnifarious.org/~hopper) --