Subject: Re: CIPE source code modifications
From: "Eric M. Hopper" <hopper,AT,omnifarious,DOT,org>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:20:58 +0100

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 09:01, Damion Wilson wrote:
> Well, that's where the device information is, but that doesn't prevent
>Mozilla
> from storing its user configuration data in the application's directory or
> SSH from keeping its key information in "Documents & Settings". If you read
> my earlier posts, you'll see that I want to create the ability for users to
> store their key data anywhere they want to. The registry is the worst place
> possible (backup/recovery, protection, etc) but if you want to keep doing
> that, then that's fine, you can have a Control Panel applet that lets you.
>If
> someone else wants to keep their information in LDAP, then that should be
> fine, too. I, personally want to store the information in protected form on
> media of my choice, which you cannot accomplish using the registry.

In fact, Mozilla not keeping its stuff in the registry is a big part of
why I use it on those rare occasions that I run Windows.  I don't want
my history, cache and who knows what else scattered higgedly piggedly
across the filesystem.

Whether or not that's relevant to CIPE is another question.  I agree
that having information on a floppy would be good.  That makes it
possible to walk up to a random Windows box, and turn it into a VPNed
extension of your corporate network as long as you have the magic disk.
Very nice and convenient.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they
be properly armed.  -- Alexander Hamilton