Subject: Dynamic routing with cipe?
From: Mike Gende <mgende,AT,gendesign,DOT,com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:33:34 +0200

Hello All,

I'm asking this question here because I'm using cipe (and have used it
for a long time). The question is about dynamic routing using two cipe
connections. If someone here is doing this or knows how I can do it, I'd
appreciate some pointers, if you'd be inclined to share. Opinions that
consider this to be a stupid idea will also be entertained.

Here's the story:

Say I've got 2 cipe links, cipcb0 and cipcb1. Both are on the same
physical adapter, eth0. Eth0 is getting to the Internet via DSL. No
problem.

Say I have both pointing at the same endpoint. Cipcb0 is getting to that
endpoint via the endpoint's T1 connection to the Internet. Cipcb1 is
getting there via that same endpoints' secondary connection to the
Internet, a DSL line. Both the enpoint's Internet connections are on
different gateways, basically redundent Inet gateways/cipe servers.

What I'd like to do is have routing automatically "fail over" from
cipcb0 to cipcb1 if the endpoints' T1 failed. I could do that manually
or via some script, but was hoping that there was someone who had
already done this so I wouldn't reinvent the wheel.

I've looked at tcp/ip and now know a lot more about traffic shaping,
etc, but not this type of failover routing. Forgive me if the answer is
plain and I'm just to thick to find it. Again, any pointers would be
most appreciated.

Regards,

Mike